self-portraits

Just before my son was born, this past August, I made a stab at some self portraits. They were all made within the span of just over one week.

In the beginning I worked with little in mind but to paint from life. I set up a 12 inch square mirror on a shelf in my basement studio. There is one small glass block window that allows some natural light in that I supplement with a number of other lamps.

I challenged myself to paint in a very general way and in poor light as to not see well. After making the first painting my ideas expanded in small increments. Adjustments such as changing backgrounds, not limiting to one time of day, and adjusting light sources, all the while continuing to paint from life. The first two portraits I stuck with the limited palette I began with. The third portrait I chose a strict warm limited palette and added one cool color after having the entire painting blocked in - then worked to incorporate the cool tones. Some of the changes made during the process were intuitive and others were made to improve composition. 

Definitely a fun exercise of self examination before the life altering event. I wonder how and if I see/paint myself differently now that Judah is with us.




Comments

  1. Nice job! I especially like the bottom one. Congratulations on your new son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! It is great to hear feedback! What do you like about the bottom painting?

      Delete

Post a Comment